This is the fundamental part of the book and impacts strategy creation and deployment providing the link across the whole book. Various leadership competences are explored and the overlap between managers and leaders discussed.
Some of the conclusions drawn are:
- Leadership can, and should, be demonstrated at all levels
- Leaders are not perfect; but their imperfections may be the essence of their leadership
- Leaders have to take personal risks and need to be resilient
- Leadership is a practical skill - it is an art not a science
- You can teach the subject of leadership but you have to train and develop leaders
'Leadership is about getting others to do what you want them to do because they want to do it' Eisenhower